Mark in the Community
Mark has been an active member of the community and has worked hard to improve local neighborhoods. Here are some examples how:
- Mark developed an innovative domestic violence initiative aimed at decreasing the incidents of domestic violence in the City of Milwaukee by taking proactive measures. This initiative was developed in collaboration with Sojourner Family Peace Center and the Milwaukee Police Department.
- Mark created the Community Intervention Initiative, a restorative justice program that diverts low-level, non-violent offenders from the criminal justice system by engaging them with members of the community in an effort to educate and rehabilitate them. This program has successfully held offenders responsible for their actions while conserving valuable resources and has been regarded as a common sense approach to addressing community concerns in difficult economic times.
- Mark organized the Park Knoll Business Association, an association of local business owners, bringing together local stakeholders to discuss ways to increase the commercial viability of their neighborhood and reduce crime.
- Mark coordinated the formulation of the Northwest Triangle Landlord Group, an organization of real estate owners on the northwest side of Milwaukee, that educates landlords on the importance of managing properties in a socially responsible way and provides guidance on how to do so. Since the inception of this program, this area has experienced a substantial reduction in violent crime.
- Mark regularly attends and speaks at community crime and safety meetings to gain input on neighborhood concerns and needs and to provide people with resources to assist them.
- Mark has regularly attended neighborhood walks in order to better understand the needs and resources of the communities in which he works and to establish better lines of communication between law enforcement and community members.
- Mark organized the District Four Faith-Based Initiative, an ongoing initiative designed to familiarize the faith-based community with the services provided by other places of worship. The initiative also seeks to coordinate the efforts of the faith-based community to help improve day-to-day life in the community.
- Mark is an active member of the Rotary Club of Milwaukee.